Thursday, November 01, 2007

A Quiver Full

My friend Lauren & I laugh at this expression, which is an option on a Christian dating website under the question: "Do you want children?" Every once in a while someone will choose that as their answer, and no, they aren't joking.

But La & I think it's pretty funny.

But perhaps the more comical thing is that the idea of having "a quiver full" is increasing in appeal. This is likely due to the many blogs I read, several of whom either have many children, or are one of many children. And they all look so happy and their family reunions so idyllic. It makes me seriously consider having many children in the hopes of fostering just such an environment. However many kids I have, I hope they have fond memories of sibling rivalry that turns into friendship, and that they enjoy being with their parents.

A quiver full doesn't sound too crazy now.

7 comments:

Creative Mama said...

You know I really do want a quiver full... at least on most days...

Abby... the Oregonian said...

as i sit in my house, longing for one quiet moment to myself where i don't have boys playing in the toilet, licking the drains, or asking what the word sex means, and i read your blog about wanting a quiverfull of kids... i will take your quiet, single life for a few weeks and you can take my quiver full and then lets see what you think.

Kellyry said...

Can I just wish, A, that I fast forward to having all grown-up kids, with memories already made, where I have my free Friday nights back again? I suppose that's too much to wish for... ;-)

Molly W. said...

that expression is funny....I have to admit that when I see some large families it does seem somewhat enticing but then the reality sets in and I realize how wiped I am with one! I don't think I'm meant to have a quiver full.

Ginger...blue skies tomorrow said...

I want a quiver full too! Maybe us single girls are still stuck in the idealism of it. UMMM if I am starting in my late thirties i think I should consider myself blessed with even one!

b said...

Let me just say that having even 1 is not for the faint of heart.

Holy cow--the worry. How does anyone survive the worry?

Phoebe said...

It's not so bad! and it's definitely worth it.