Friday, November 09, 2007

My love-hate relationship with early Christmas Shopping

You see, generally speaking I like to have things organized and done in advance (except for school work, which I totally procrastinate because I'm just not inspired to write unless it's nearing a deadline). And when it comes to the holiday season, there is something to be said for having things done in advance so that you can spend your time baking or having friends over for games in front of the fireplace. And yet, there is also something to be said for the stress of Christmas shopping, the trips to the mall after which you return home laden with bags and excitement over the just-right present you found for that one person that is otherwise impossible to buy for (Dad. Mom.). In fact, the past couple of years I've deliberately left a gift or two till the end so that I had an excuse to experience the hustle & bustle of last-minute shopping.

All this to say I'm almost completely done with my Christmas shopping. And I'm a little bummed about that.

So if you need company on your last-minute trips to the mall, and you want someone to fight for that last parking spot, or hold your extra packages while you wrestle with the 63-year old grandma over the last Elmo doll, then I'm your gal. And when we're done, we can go sip cider at my place and stare at all the presents already wrapped under my Christmas tree.

7 comments:

Molly W. said...

we all know I have a million nieces and nephews and haven't even begun my shopping so...you are indeed my gal.

Sara said...

Wow, you really are on top of things. I thought I was doing good with my 4 gifts purchased. I will definitely keep you in mind when I need a buddy to face the crazy crowds! :)

Liz said...

Um, Christmas shopping? I thought Thanksgiving came before Christmas. I pretty much can't do anything Christmas related until the day after Thanksgiving. :)

kellkellnd said...

people like you make me sick! I have yet to buy 1 christmas present. Lucky for me, this christmas season I'm eligible for the "expectant mother" parking space at the mall. Kell, you are more than welcome to join me for a trip to the mall, as long as you don't mind chasing after a 2 year old and pulling her out of clothes racks.

Kellyry said...

I don't think I'm normally THIS one top of things--it was a strange year where I knew almost everything I wanted to get for people. Usually I'm done or near done in early December.

I'll gladly shop for the bajillion nieces & nephews with Molls, face the crazies with Sara, toast Liz for staying true to the holidays, and wrangle Emi for Kell.

It's my duty as your friends. Just call! :-)

Creative Mama said...

well... that IS amazing... I've started to think about gifts I might make? does that count for something? dang... can't believe your soo proactive...

Phoebe said...

I'm feeling your vibe, Kell. I have already started wrapping!