Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Farewell, Melrose Place

For almost 6 years now I have enjoyed living alone in my cozy little apartment. The nice thing about where I lived was the fact that several long-time friends from junior high and high school lived there as well. It was a regular 'ol Melrose Place.

Today I said farewell. Although it was just a 1-bedroom apartment, to me it was a home. A place where friends gathered, nieces and nephews had sleepovers, and four Turkey Parties took place.


I will miss my home and all of my neighbors. Susan, the first person to welcome me to the neighborhood with a beautiful fuschia orchid. Sara, the closest thing to a roomate these past years, who would bring over her coffee on Sunday mornings for a weekend gossip chat. Brad & Matt, the go-to guys when I needed power tools. Brandi, my comrade in the seemingly never-ending pursuit of higher education. Florence, who I hope to be like when I'm 102 like she is. And all the others who have made Linwood Ave a great place to live.


8 comments:

Abby... the Oregonian said...

kel, i am sad to see it go... so many changes.

Creative Mama said...

it was a lovely home... but it looks soo bla without you in it... you'll warm up your next place I know you will...

Rama said...

I'm with Abby on this one. SO many changes...makes me sad. Thanks for hosting so many fun gatherings at your home. Looking forward to many more at your new temporary home and wherever else you end up in the future...

Molly W. said...

This post is heart wrenching...everyone knows I hate change but especially here! I LOVED your apartment, so cozy, so Kelly....so constant. Sad day....

DeniseMarie said...

I agree with all the comments above. While I know this is just one more step towards your bigger and better goals for yourself and I'm exceedingly excited about all the future has in store for you, I can't help but be sad to say goodbye to 514A and begrudge all the changes. Is it finally happening? Are we truly all becoming grown ups, moving on and away, changing careers, marrying and birthing babies.....? I'm not ready for all my favorite people to move away.

Matt said...

When I lived in Colorado, I had an apartment that I had very similar feelings about. It was a sad day when I left, and its not uncommon for me to think about that place. The great thing is you get all the great memories of it to keep forever. As my beautiful wife said above though, it "is one more step towards your bigger and better goals..." You'll look back on this in a few years and be so glad you made your move. I know thats how I feel now when I look back at all the changes that I've been through since I left my little "Melrose Place"

kellkellnd said...

Looking at those pictures of your empty apartment reminded me of the night we attempted to paint your kitchen.We had alot of laughs that night and I think we listened to the Moulin Rouge soundtrack about 20 times in the process.
I just wanted to share with you that that was a fun and happy memory in an otherwise sad time in my life. I'm so glad I was able to be your neighbor over the hedge for a couple years.
I'm so excited for your future and love to see you are following your heart.
Keep in touch

Kell Bell

Phoebe said...

6 years!? I have never lived anywhere for that long (except my childhood home) I still can't believe that all of you guys ended up there and stayed for so long! How great to have made a place "Home".