Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Boahstun

Did I forget to mention that I'm also going to Boston?

Have you ever had that feeling, deep in your heart, nay, in your very soul, that you were home? That you were where you were supposed to be? Such was my experience when I first traveled to Boston four or so years ago. Driving from the airport to my hotel was an almost religious experience, so strong was the sense that all was right in my world. The brick buildings, the people, the majestic historical sites, even the telephone wires are images burned in my mind. Although I spent most of my 3 days there sequestered in a hotel conference room learning about Yellow Page advertising, the time I did spend strolling the streets left me yearning for more. Words can almost not explain, but I felt as though God was telling me, "You will live here someday." I cannot help but wonder if perhaps that someday has come. Hopefully this fall visit will help determine if that one experience was a momentary aberration or a true calling.

This trip I'll have the pleasure of the company of friends from Denmark, Jan and John-Arne. As Jan is a history buff (you want him on your Trivial Pursuit team!), I expect we'll conquer all the major historical sites one can possibly conquer in 3 days. We'll likely have to fortify ourselves with some local snacks.

I also plan to soak up some culture at the MFA and Gardner Museum.


As always, I look forward to utilizing public transportation and plan to avoid driving in the city (though from the Guide to Boston Drivers, I may just fit right in. Case in Point: "Remember that the goal of every Boston driver is to get there first by whatever means necessary." That's my kind of city!)

Rather than stay at a pricey hotel, we've decided to rent a private apartment in the Back Bay. It is affordable and should be nice to have our own private pad to pretend we're locals.

Oh-I almost forgot! The purpose of the trip...I'll be visiting Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology, (hereafter known as MSPP), as well. The school has a tremendous reputation and I look forward to meeting with various administrators, faculty & students to help get a better idea whether this is the place for me.

Going in mid-October. Can't wait!

3 comments:

Creative Mama said...

the east coast is amazing... it makes you feel alive...praying for your journey...

b said...

We just LOVE Boahston. And yes, the East Coast in general. Will always have an especially sweet place in our hearts as we honeymooned in New England...

Make sure to eat at Giacomos (spelling?)...

Also, please pass on these New England fave spots to Jan and John-Arne:

1.) Wentworth By the Sea (Newcastle, New Hampshire). An incredible Victorian era hotel situated in the Hamptons. Their restaurants are AMAZING. We had the most succulent lobster and incredible breakfasts there (most tasty blueberries, fresh cream and waffles EVER.) Very interesting history as well.

2.) Best clam chowder in New England: Harborwalk Cafe on Tudor Wharf. (Believe it or not, this cafe, which is situated right on the Charles River, is part of the Tudor Wharf Residence Inn)

3.)Boothbay Harbour, Maine. Definitely eat at the Thistle Inn. Had the most amazing Diver Scallops in plum sauce with risotto and creme brulee for dessert. An unforgettable place.

4.) Bar Harbor, Maine: Stay at The Maple Inn (say hi to Tom) and save lots of time for walking around downtown and hiking in the Acadia National Park. You can spend weeks at this stunning destination overlooking the ocean.Also, drive to see surrounding villages, one of which Martha Stewart and the Rockafellers have homes in.

5.)The Cabernet Inn (North Conway, NH). Situated in the heart of the White Mountains, this Inn is so hyggelig, you won't even want to go outside. But you have to go outside because the natural beauty is so stunning, it's a veritable dream-come-true for leaf peepers. Drive the White Mountain loop for unparalleled Fall foliage.

6.) LOVE Vermont, but DO NOT--I repeat, DO NOT stay at the Grunberg Haus (Waterbury, VT). It looks great on their Web site, but this place Unkempt and badly in need of a renovation, een the breakfast was dismally shabby.

b said...

7.) Oh--forgot to mention one other totally cool place: The Ferry Point House (Sanbornton, NH). A GREAT B&B with a prime Lake location. Say hi to Eric and Andrea!