Friday, September 21, 2007

Oh, the places you'll go!

And the things you'll do to get there...

As ridiculous as this may sound, I believe one of the reasons I never considered graduate school was because I realized that it required a time commitment that was not really compatible with a full-time, decent-paying job. The end result of no full-time, decent-paying job = life-of-a-poor-grad-student. I've known several of these people and I always thanked my lucky stars that I did not have to forgo a movie because funds were tight and rent was due. That is not to say that I live the life of luxury; though I am sure people in India or Ethiopia, or even inner-city LA would surely disagree. I will readily acknowledge, though, that I am comfortable. I have my little apartment with cozy furniture and a kitchen equipped to rival Williams-Sonoma; plenty of shoes and handbags to keep a girl stylin'; and the ability to enjoy the culinary delights of local chefs on not-so-infrequent occasions. All this to say that for the most part, I am well aware of my blessed level of comfort and am loathe to give this up. I am after all 30 years old...isn't this how it's supposed to be when you are this age?

Things don't always turn out the way you expect and that often means a surprising change of direction. For me that means a 5-year ticket to the lifestyle of a poor-grad-student. Amazing the things we are willing to take on when the end goal has meaning and purpose, and inspires passion and excitement. Although I do not look particularly forward to those 5 or so years of near-luxury-free existence (beginning fall 2008), I know there is a purpose and an end in sight. (Even if that end does have the year 2013 attached to it.)

In spite of financial mistakes, misadventures and misappropriations, God has always provided for my basic and admittedly not so basic (I don't think Michael Kors falls under the category of "basic," right?) needs. When I stop to think of how irresponsible I can be with my money, I'm surprised he lets me get a paycheck at all! But I'm not adverse to learning a lesson on how to be financially responsible, and God is faithful to do so lovingly and without unnecessary rush.

Yesterday morning as I stood in front of the bathroom mirror, I recalled a conversation I'd had the night before about the high-cost of moving; especially to the east cost. It occurred to me that I had no plan to procure those moving costs, and I was shocked at my lack of forethought and planning. Did I just believe the money would fall from the sky when I needed it? I knew that I needed to get practical and make a plan to save in the coming months. Save A LOT. Enter God. Again. As I considered my options (no movies, cutting back on cable, organ donation, etc), I uttered the unthinkable question (or at least the unthinkable question to those that know me, and know how utterly content I am to live alone in my cozy little place): Could I do anything to change my living situation in order to save money? The fact that this thought even occurred to me and I was willing to consider it is enough proof for all the atheists that God does indeed exist. That has simply been a luxury that I was not willing to give up. Within an hour or so of asking the question, my living situation had changed. In what can only be described as an act of God, one of my dearest friends--currently living alone in a 4-bedroom town home--offered to cut me a deal on rent so I could save money. And this was all without my even mentioning that I was considering changing my living situation; I'd only uttered the words, "Ging, I need to come up with a plan to save money." Her sacrifice is not going unnoticed and will allow me to save a large chunk of the anticipated moving costs.

In a matter of hours, I could see how God had not only provided for my financial needs by giving me a way to save money on rent, but he had also prepared my heart to accept this change. Although I am sad to not spend the coming holidays in my little place with the neighbors I've had for the past almost 5 1/2 years nearby (many of them friends since junior high), I have no doubt that when I asked the question early yesterday morning, God provided an answer.

I look forward to sharing a home with one of my dearest friends for the next 9 months. I look forward to being more financially responsible and see that responsibility pay off in an ING money market savings account. I am appreciative for the reminder that God always takes care of us.

So in summary: as of November 1, 2007, I am moving 1.44 miles away. Just in case that wasn't clear. :-)

3 comments:

b said...

I am very proud of you, Kell! While we can all be grateful for God's undeserved mercy and grace, it is also neat to see how He blesses our willingness to sacrifice, in order to be a better steward of HIS money.

Can't wait to see the places you'll go!
xoxo your loving sis...
b

Sara said...

I will be sad to see my Melrose Place buddy go, but I know its the right thing for you and it is only the beginning of the new and exciting adventure that you are about to embark on next year!

Creative Mama said...

I love being let into your process... God is with you ... and has been with you all along the way...