Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Can-do Attitude or Unsufferable Arrogance?

My friend Lauren (i.e. professional clothing designer/pattern-maker extraordinaire) thinks it's funny that I one time sewed a dress for myself. With most things in life, I have this attitude of, "How hard can it be?" My experience making boxer shorts years before had contributed to this perspective about making my own clothes.

That one-time dress-making experience changed that attitude. I wish I still had that dress. I bet Lauren would get a real kick out of looking at the makeshift job I did. It was rather funny, at the time and in hindsight: I couldn't find a dress that I liked, I had a vision of what I wanted, and so assumed that I could recreate that vision (despite a lack of pattern or anything to guide me). Valentino I ain't!

A recent post here led me to this, which makes me want to get back my can-do attitude about sewing and give it a try again. This is all in spite of a lack of a.) a sewing machine, and b.) knowledge about materials and notions and such, so I'd likely end up with a bag that would come apart the first time I proudly showed it off.

Still, this bag is so cute (wasp/honeycomb print included!) that I may just have to attempt it when I finally get some free time. It even includes a pattern! How hard can it be?

7 comments:

Liz said...

I have sewn a couple of bags in my life and while they are not super easy, they are definitely do-able if you take your time and follow the directions. The good part about a bag is that it doesn't actually have to fit anyone when you are done! :)

Kellyry said...

Very true! I had to wear a cardigan over the dress as there were some "interesting" fit issues...

Creative Mama said...

amy butler.
look her up online... she's got TONS of free patterns ... and cute bags... they look easy enough...

Phoebe said...

Another reason to move to Portland would be that we could sew TOGETHER! I have a machine and I know how to use it.
It might make you think about the time taht we made a skirt for you for teh first day of shcool. Without a pattern. Out of rainbow fabric.
I'm all about the can-do attitude.

Kellyry said...

I forgot ALL about that skirt! Haha! What fun we had. What fun we could have again! :-)

b said...

Long live the 'can-do'attitude! I say go for it--just don't necessarily expect professional results first time around.

Remember the time I couldn't find a dress for Gitte & Anders' wedding and sewed one? I had never sewed a single stitch--not even a potholder, and the neckline of my dress totally looked like it. Oh well--thank goodness for decorative shawls!

Kellyry said...

Amen, sister!