Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The most brilliant of brilliant decorating tips

I cannot recall where I heard the most brilliant decorating tip but I had to share. Regardless of where it came from, it's brilliant! In a nut-shell (because again, I can't recall where I heard this brilliant decorating tip and so must paraphrase what I took from it so that I can share it with you)...

***
When considering a color scheme or style for a room, think of a painter or artist that you are drawn to. Note the colors that they tend to use: pastels? muted primary colors? earth tones? Further ponder why you like them, why that style and those colors are drawing you in. Start to envision that painting or collection of paintings turned into a room's decor. How can that same look that speaks to your soul, be turned into a living room? Your bedroom? A dining room? Take those thoughts and run with them to have a room inspired by a true artiste.


("Forty People" by Geoffrey Johnson (above right) and "Channel Marker" & "Lemons" by Kris Shanks (both directly above))

(If you by chance have heard this tip recently too and want to tell me where, I will gladly give credit where credit is due.)

2 comments:

b said...

That is brilliant and makes a ton of sense! Thanks for the tip.

Kellyry said...

Yes! So simple. So logical. Perhaps we do this intuitively, but when I get stumped (as happens on occasion) I'll remember this tip and hopefully get unstuck and imbued with vision.