Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Miscellaneous & Moving

The miscellaneous (for all my runner-friends)...

"The first time I see a jogger smiling, I'll consider it."
~Joan Rivers

He he. :-)

The moving...

These past months have been an opportunity for me to exercise patience. I do not claim to be a patient person, and certainly not one that is comfortable with forced inaction. Not knowing where I was moving to made it difficult to make almost any decisions about moving or settling into my future city. Following the knowledge that Chicago is where I'm headed, the floodgates of planning have opened!

And I love it.

I love planning, organizing, executing, collecting quotes and discussing concrete options. Suffice to say I've already contacted moving & unloading companies to get an idea of cost and dates and the process in general. Although I don't know my future address (the one sure-to-be-frustrating unknown left in this equation) I can have a reasonable idea as to my moving budget based on the neighborhoods I will likely end up in.

To help weed through the masses of moving companies out there, do you have a recommendation? I've spoken with ABF/U-pack, a strong recommendation from a friend, and am waiting to hear back from Allied and a possible private moving option. Any thoughts or opinions you have on movers are welcome.

9 comments:

Molly W. said...

I don't have a specific company to recommend per se but I do have a piece of advice... go with a reputable place. Adam's cousin had his stuff high-jacked by a moving company -they quoted him a price and then when they got his stuff told him he wouldn't get it back unless he gave them more money...he refused to pay and has still not gotten his stuff. I'm pretty sure that was over 2 years ago.

b said...

Wow, Molly, that is very bad luck.

Kelly--I'm so excited for you and will get an estimate from the guy who's moving us.

Phoebe said...

I have heard great things about ABF from a lot of people, but my S-I-L had a bad experience with them. When their stuff got there a forklift had skewered their furniture when the load before theirs had been unloaded. It was actually kind of funny, but not so funny:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kel! Congratulations on moving to Chicago! I'm so excited for you!...I definitely will be coming to visit ya! So get ready! haha! Luv Ya Cousin!

b said...

By the way, Kelly: my content filter now flags your site for containing 'drugs/alcohol content'.

We've all been talking about it and it's high time that you knew how we ALL feel: it's really sad, how you're turning out. We've all been agreeing that you're just so completely out of control with that drugs and alcohol usage thing of yours. So there you have it.

Kellyry said...

B--That's hilarious! I wonder what I've written that's being construed as drugs/alcohol content?

Lauren said...

Remember, you made a joke about teaching Audrey to drink on the job and giving her Vodka and Gin! Funny.

jen said...

come run with me and i'll show you how to smile while running :)

Kellyry said...

Oh that's right, Lauren! Hahaha! Maybe it filters for whether you mention 2 or more alcohols in a post or something, as that could indicate an unhealthy obsession with the Devil's juice.

Jen...I might be willing to try but I can't guarantee I can go more than a block!